Skip to main content

A Stack of Bibles


This may look like a stack of Bibles.  In fact, it is exactly that.  If you asked the average person what was pictured above that is the answer they would give.  I would tell you that it is much more than that. In this picture there is almost 100 years of the godly heritage of my family on display.  

The Bible on the bottom belonged to my great grandfather.   Depending on who you ask his legal name was either Willie Russell Threet or William Russell Threet.  According to the census records I have seen It is the latter.  All that being said he is the person that I was named after.  I never knew him, but I know much about him because my Dad was very close to his grandfather.  The Bible here was given to him by his parents on Christmas Day 1924 when he would have been 23 years old.  The inscription reads:

Christmas Present. From Father and Mother to Willie, Dec. 25, 1924.  Read this Precious Book with Care for Its our earthly guide. Its tells us how to watch and pray our loving Savior to obey, will guide us to our Heavenly Home, no more in sorrow there to roam.

This book does not just represent the faith of my great grandfather, but of my great great grandparents as well.  The second Bible in the stack also belonged to my great grandfather I believe.  There is not an inscription or name in the front to be sure, but there are family records in part of it that point to it belonging to him, probably later in life.
 The third Bible in the stack belonged to my grandfather.  If you have known me for any length of time, you have heard me speak of him. He was and continues to be a mighty influence in my life.  He and my grandmother served God faithfully in the pastorate for years and years, and impacted many for Christ.

Now, the Bible on top belongs to me.   I was sitting in my office reading and studying and I set my Bible down on top of the others that I keep on display.  It was just a normal something that you do when you set a book to one side while studying, but when I saw it a light bulb came on in my head.  I know that Jesus is the author and finisher of my faith.  He is the one that it is all based upon.  I have, however, been blessed by God in that my family was one that believed the Bible, loved God, and served the church.  Not everyone gets that chance.  It puts them at a disadvantage when compared to me.  These Bibles that mine rest upon picture the blessing of the godly foundations that my life rests upon. I am who I am by the power of God and through the power He showed through the lives of my ancestors before me.  

Now, you might be saying that I am being overly nostalgic or even arrogant.  I am not.  I am grateful.  You might lament the fact that you do not have this kind of heritage of faith in your family.  Let me share with you a thought that could shape the future of your faith and your family.  Your Bible could be the one on the bottom of the stack.  You could be the one that is the first to lay the foundational faith that your family rejoices in for years to come.   God could use you to set your family up as a Gospel force to be reckoned with for the next century.  Are you willing to be that foundation?

If you have a godly heritage, please, celebrate it.  More than that, continue and expand it.  If you do not, do not despair.  Jesus is the foundation.  Let your Bible rest on the bottom of the stack to the honor and glory of Jesus Christ.

Bro. Russell 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arkansas and where I grew up there are not many things looked upon be

Ambition, Contentment, and Higher Education

Wow, Have I fallen behind keeping up with this blog.  Why? Well, for example, right now I have a two page paper one day overdue that is needing to be written. Poor planning and procrastination caught up with me again.  However, this is not what I intended to comment on today.  Today, God has asked me a question I am having trouble answering:  Is it possible to have contentment and still have ambition?  Hmmmmm.... I would say that it is.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking or arrogance, but I do believe there is a way to walk that line.   Right now I am as happy as I have ever been with the way my family life, career, and even my educational situation as I have ever been.  Yet, there is still so much I want to accomplish.  I still have ambitions.  These two things do not have to remain mutually exclusive. The real test is motivation. Is my ambition tied to the mission God has for my life?  If it is then I have nothing to repent of.  If not, then I have just made an idol.  Anyon

Constant Reminders-Thorns

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure- 2 Corinthians 12:7 Here we see Paul, discussing the thorn in his flesh.  There have been many theories as to what exactly this thorn was.  They range from depression to malaria and everything in between.  Some say it was psychological, some say it was physical, while yet others believe it had to do with his memories of his past.   Let's just say we do not know exactly what it was.  What we do know is that Paul dealt with some issue on a near continual basis.  Paul said that this was an attack from Satan, but it was also used of God to keep him humble. I guess my question is this:  What is your thorn in the flesh?  Is there something in your life that you cannot pray away?  I'll bet there is.  It may be a physical ailment, or it may be your past lurking, waiting to pop