Skip to main content

Ambition, Contentment, and Higher Education

Wow, Have I fallen behind keeping up with this blog.  Why? Well, for example, right now I have a two page paper one day overdue that is needing to be written. Poor planning and procrastination caught up with me again.  However, this is not what I intended to comment on today.  Today, God has asked me a question I am having trouble answering:  Is it possible to have contentment and still have ambition? 

Hmmmmm....

I would say that it is.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking or arrogance, but I do believe there is a way to walk that line.   Right now I am as happy as I have ever been with the way my family life, career, and even my educational situation as I have ever been.  Yet, there is still so much I want to accomplish.  I still have ambitions.  These two things do not have to remain mutually exclusive.

The real test is motivation. Is my ambition tied to the mission God has for my life?  If it is then I have nothing to repent of.  If not, then I have just made an idol.  Anyone who has known me in the past 2 years knows that I am crazy ambitious when it comes to education.  I have checked out any and every possible way to get every possible degree.  I took the law school entrance exam.  I applied to a few doctoral programs while still completing my Seminary work(that I'm still completing).  Education became an idol.  I still fight it.  Ads for schools pop up on the side of everything I do on the internet.  It was my drug of choice. Do they have a D.A.R.E. program for that? I do not have that much schooling, but I have been privy to the inner workings of academia, at least on a limited basis.  It was enthralling to me. Dr Soandso, how are you today?  Not bad Dr. Suchandsuch, how are you?  1000 students a week captive to your whims.  It could definitely be a power trip.  I love education.  I enjoy school.  There is the occasional class that I loathe, and yes I often procrastinate, but only to intensify that rush of having to get the paper done.  Nothing would be more boring to me than to finish everything a week ahead of schedule in a class.  Not appealing. 

The point is that I wanted education for the wrong reasons.  I still often say I want to finish a doctorate just to make my brothers call me DR. at thanksgiving.  "Russell, would you pass me the mashed potatoes?"  "I'm sorry were you talking to me dear brother.  That's Dr. Russell to you".  I have now found the place where I can have patience and peace with my motivations for education.  I still intend to continue through a Doctor of Ministry, but I may not finish it for 10 years and I am okay with that.  Before, I wanted degrees and I wanted them now.
The same goes for ministry.  If we seek to see people come to Christ to serve our pride, we have just given the devil a huge hold on our lives and endangered the eternity of those who we should be faithfully ministering to.  Any desire of our heart that does not come from God can entice us to sin.  Anything.  I have long since given up the vices of my youth but trading them for more sophisticated ones  does not keep me from sinning.  The key is in one word.

Selfishness

Selfish ambition is sin.
Philippians 2:3-Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves
 Ambition for the will of God is a blessing.
Matthew 6:33-But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Therein lies the difference.  I hope my struggles with ambition can help you with yours.  Take captive that ambition and redirect towards God's mission and the world can be changed for the name of Christ.

Bro. Russell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arkansas and where I grew up there are not many things looked upon be

Constant Reminders-Thorns

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure- 2 Corinthians 12:7 Here we see Paul, discussing the thorn in his flesh.  There have been many theories as to what exactly this thorn was.  They range from depression to malaria and everything in between.  Some say it was psychological, some say it was physical, while yet others believe it had to do with his memories of his past.   Let's just say we do not know exactly what it was.  What we do know is that Paul dealt with some issue on a near continual basis.  Paul said that this was an attack from Satan, but it was also used of God to keep him humble. I guess my question is this:  What is your thorn in the flesh?  Is there something in your life that you cannot pray away?  I'll bet there is.  It may be a physical ailment, or it may be your past lurking, waiting to pop