Skip to main content

The Cross of Christ

Is it possible to say too much about the cross?  As a preacher that possesses salvation purchased at the cross I do not believe it is possible.  Is that what is happening in this day?  I do not know.  I do not dare make a blanket comment regarding preaching or church life in general.  I do know, however, that the focus of the majority of preaching, books, and conference breakout sessions are not the Cross.  Social media workshops? Yes.  Public Proclamation of the glory of the Cross?  No.

Some may say that it is understood that as Christians our focus is the Gospel message of salvation beginning with the atoning sacrifice at the Cross.  Sounds nice, but is it true?  Let me give you an example.  I have in front of me a brochure for an upcoming Baptist conference.  Here is a list of some of the so-called breakout sessions:

1.  Transformational Elements in Worship
2.  Beyond Bathrobes: Theater in Christian Education and Worship
3.  Contemporary Approaches to Stewardship
4.  Spiritual Formation in Emerging Adulthood
5.  Social Media in Ministry (told you)
6.  Current Threats to Religious Liberty
7.  Creating a Healthy Church Culture
8.  Trafficked: An Experience in Choices and Consequences
9.  Enacted Word: Using Theater to Present Scripture
10.  What is the Importance of the Baptist Brand Today?
11. Wanted Dead or Alive (A Workshop on Giving to the church in your will)

Now, this is not an exhaustive list for this conference but none of the others are focused on the centrality of the Gospel Message.  There are a couple of Missions focused things, but mostly introducing new people groups to raise money for.

I am for all of these types of things (except maybe the doubling down on theater stuff).  I know that these things are important and can be at times directly linked to the propagation of the Gospel message.  These are focused on issues that are secondary to the Gospel.  In this age we continue to see the message of the Cross itself sacrificed on the altar of cultural relevance and political correctness.  We dance around in all these areas and try to slip Jesus'; name in here or there instead of letting His name echo off the walls of every aspect of our lives and ministries.  If we close a prayer in Jesus' name we count it a job well done.

 I don't see it that way.  Call me a Redneck, call me old fashioned, call me outdated, but from where I sit the churches experiencing the most problems are those that have let their opinions and politics shape their church life and not vice-versa.  I would rather see 50 people listening to an old leather lunged preacher holler about Jesus than see 1000 people in a service with a watery message that focuses more on building self esteem than building the Kingdom of God. 

I am not the perfect pastor and I do not have the perfect church.  I am a small fish in a small pond and I love every minute because I believe God is in it.  This post is simply the result of the mail I have received in the last few weeks. Maybe my experience is isolated, but I do not believe so.  Stand strong and preach the Cross!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arkansas and where I grew up there are not many things looked upon be

Ambition, Contentment, and Higher Education

Wow, Have I fallen behind keeping up with this blog.  Why? Well, for example, right now I have a two page paper one day overdue that is needing to be written. Poor planning and procrastination caught up with me again.  However, this is not what I intended to comment on today.  Today, God has asked me a question I am having trouble answering:  Is it possible to have contentment and still have ambition?  Hmmmmm.... I would say that it is.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking or arrogance, but I do believe there is a way to walk that line.   Right now I am as happy as I have ever been with the way my family life, career, and even my educational situation as I have ever been.  Yet, there is still so much I want to accomplish.  I still have ambitions.  These two things do not have to remain mutually exclusive. The real test is motivation. Is my ambition tied to the mission God has for my life?  If it is then I have nothing to repent of.  If not, then I have just made an idol.  Anyon

Constant Reminders-Thorns

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure- 2 Corinthians 12:7 Here we see Paul, discussing the thorn in his flesh.  There have been many theories as to what exactly this thorn was.  They range from depression to malaria and everything in between.  Some say it was psychological, some say it was physical, while yet others believe it had to do with his memories of his past.   Let's just say we do not know exactly what it was.  What we do know is that Paul dealt with some issue on a near continual basis.  Paul said that this was an attack from Satan, but it was also used of God to keep him humble. I guess my question is this:  What is your thorn in the flesh?  Is there something in your life that you cannot pray away?  I'll bet there is.  It may be a physical ailment, or it may be your past lurking, waiting to pop