Skip to main content

The Gospel and Autism: A Father's Fear

There is a lot of things that happen in our lives as a family that cause us to stress.  Many times these things are directly related to our oldest son William Paul's diagnosis as having an autism spectrum disorder.  Some days he is so hyper that he absolutely cannot be contained.  Some days he squeals all day long.  Some days he freaks out because he does not have the proper 20+ items in his bed with him so he will not go to sleep.  These are the struggles that parents of kids with ASD face.  It is normal at our house.  Hey, our other sons have their issues too but William Paul is obviously our squeaky wheel that needs more grease.  God Bless my wife because she is the one applying grease most days.

Now, with all that said I come to my struggles.  I am a pastor .  More than that I am a Christ follower.  I am a Christ follower wholly concerned with the salvation of lost people.  Now, what kind of parent would I be if I say that I believe the Bible (meaning Heaven is a reality, Hell is  A reality, and Jesus is the only criteria by which our eternity is decided) and did not want my children to have a relationship with Christ?  Here's the issue.  Everyone who loves Jesus wants their family to know Christ.  There are all kinds of issues and situations in life that can make it hard to get the message of the Gospel through to an individual.  The issue here for me is what if my son never comes to a place where he can intellectually grasp the Gospel.  The greater fear is really not that he will not intellectually be able to hear and understand it in his mind, but that his autism will really limit his ability to grasp abstract spiritual truth.  He may never come to a place where his heart can be really be touched by the Gospel.  For a pastor who believes in the reality of Hell this is horrifying.

You might say that I lack faith.  Look, I preach and believe in an age of accountability.  Read John Macarthur's book Safe in the Arms of God if you want a good treatise on the age of accountability.  I believe it is different for all. I believe it is more than possible that people with certain kinds of disabilities never reach an age of accountability. However, I am not God.  I will never know for sure if my son has crossed that line of knowledge of sin.  I trust God in all things, and yes I do believe in his sovereignty.  That does not always bring comfort, even if it should.  Most days I have complete trust.  I am not God and believe His purposes and plans are so much higher than mine that I cannot even begin to touch them.  But I am human, and I am a father.

Now, the good news.  The good news is this makes me pray.  The good news is this makes me pray for my sons.  The good news is this makes me pray for my wife because she is on the front lines of this battle even more than I am.  The good news is that I try to stay clean before God so that I can commune with Him when things seem good and when my faith fails me.  Notice I said MY faith not THE faith. The good news is this makes me more sensitive to the need for sharing the Gospel with others.  The good news is that god is using even this issue for His purposes.

This is a real issue that Christian parents of children with disabilities have.  I pray that this worry can be turned into victory in the lives of others.  We trust God and His wisdom and plan even when its hard to understand.  That is what being a Christ follower looks like. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arkansas and where I grew up there are not many things looked upon be

Ambition, Contentment, and Higher Education

Wow, Have I fallen behind keeping up with this blog.  Why? Well, for example, right now I have a two page paper one day overdue that is needing to be written. Poor planning and procrastination caught up with me again.  However, this is not what I intended to comment on today.  Today, God has asked me a question I am having trouble answering:  Is it possible to have contentment and still have ambition?  Hmmmmm.... I would say that it is.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking or arrogance, but I do believe there is a way to walk that line.   Right now I am as happy as I have ever been with the way my family life, career, and even my educational situation as I have ever been.  Yet, there is still so much I want to accomplish.  I still have ambitions.  These two things do not have to remain mutually exclusive. The real test is motivation. Is my ambition tied to the mission God has for my life?  If it is then I have nothing to repent of.  If not, then I have just made an idol.  Anyon

Constant Reminders-Thorns

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure- 2 Corinthians 12:7 Here we see Paul, discussing the thorn in his flesh.  There have been many theories as to what exactly this thorn was.  They range from depression to malaria and everything in between.  Some say it was psychological, some say it was physical, while yet others believe it had to do with his memories of his past.   Let's just say we do not know exactly what it was.  What we do know is that Paul dealt with some issue on a near continual basis.  Paul said that this was an attack from Satan, but it was also used of God to keep him humble. I guess my question is this:  What is your thorn in the flesh?  Is there something in your life that you cannot pray away?  I'll bet there is.  It may be a physical ailment, or it may be your past lurking, waiting to pop