Skip to main content

The Gospel and Autism: A Father's Fear

There is a lot of things that happen in our lives as a family that cause us to stress.  Many times these things are directly related to our oldest son William Paul's diagnosis as having an autism spectrum disorder.  Some days he is so hyper that he absolutely cannot be contained.  Some days he squeals all day long.  Some days he freaks out because he does not have the proper 20+ items in his bed with him so he will not go to sleep.  These are the struggles that parents of kids with ASD face.  It is normal at our house.  Hey, our other sons have their issues too but William Paul is obviously our squeaky wheel that needs more grease.  God Bless my wife because she is the one applying grease most days.

Now, with all that said I come to my struggles.  I am a pastor .  More than that I am a Christ follower.  I am a Christ follower wholly concerned with the salvation of lost people.  Now, what kind of parent would I be if I say that I believe the Bible (meaning Heaven is a reality, Hell is  A reality, and Jesus is the only criteria by which our eternity is decided) and did not want my children to have a relationship with Christ?  Here's the issue.  Everyone who loves Jesus wants their family to know Christ.  There are all kinds of issues and situations in life that can make it hard to get the message of the Gospel through to an individual.  The issue here for me is what if my son never comes to a place where he can intellectually grasp the Gospel.  The greater fear is really not that he will not intellectually be able to hear and understand it in his mind, but that his autism will really limit his ability to grasp abstract spiritual truth.  He may never come to a place where his heart can be really be touched by the Gospel.  For a pastor who believes in the reality of Hell this is horrifying.

You might say that I lack faith.  Look, I preach and believe in an age of accountability.  Read John Macarthur's book Safe in the Arms of God if you want a good treatise on the age of accountability.  I believe it is different for all. I believe it is more than possible that people with certain kinds of disabilities never reach an age of accountability. However, I am not God.  I will never know for sure if my son has crossed that line of knowledge of sin.  I trust God in all things, and yes I do believe in his sovereignty.  That does not always bring comfort, even if it should.  Most days I have complete trust.  I am not God and believe His purposes and plans are so much higher than mine that I cannot even begin to touch them.  But I am human, and I am a father.

Now, the good news.  The good news is this makes me pray.  The good news is this makes me pray for my sons.  The good news is this makes me pray for my wife because she is on the front lines of this battle even more than I am.  The good news is that I try to stay clean before God so that I can commune with Him when things seem good and when my faith fails me.  Notice I said MY faith not THE faith. The good news is this makes me more sensitive to the need for sharing the Gospel with others.  The good news is that god is using even this issue for His purposes.

This is a real issue that Christian parents of children with disabilities have.  I pray that this worry can be turned into victory in the lives of others.  We trust God and His wisdom and plan even when its hard to understand.  That is what being a Christ follower looks like. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dropping the Ball in Evangelism-My Recent Failure

I have been letting it stew in me all weekend.  I have shrugged it off.  I have talked to God with no real assurance.  I have racked my brain for an excuse.  The inescapable truth is that as a minister, a follower of Christ, and a leader of young people I dropped the ball.  Let me tell you this story so that you may not do the same. Friday night my lovely wife Sarah and I took a Wal-Mart trip to Culpeper, Virginia.  Because I ignored an initial warning sign my car gave me we ended up broken down on the side of the highway between Culpeper and Orange.  It was bad enough to be broken down, but it was worse to be broken down with two little boys who were already up past their bedtime.  To make matters worse I did not have my cell phone for the first time ever and my wife had few if any numbers of people from the church or friends that we might call for assistance.   Thankfully, Sarah was able to get in touch with the Lee family. W.T., who ...

A Response to Family Council on HB1174

 On Thursday January 9 th , 2023 House Bill 1174 was filed in the Arkansas House of Representatives. This bill would provide equal protection for unborn children under Arkansas law without exception or compromise. Most would have believed that the Arkansas based Family Council headed by Jerry Cox would have been rushing to support this bill filed by Rep. Richard Womack. Instead, they have come out and publicly opposed HB 1174 in an article on their website citing some reasons why they would oppose equal protection under the law for the unborn in Arkansas. Cox’s first listed reason is that before the Roe decision in 1973 women were not prosecuted for having abortions in Arkansas. It is interesting for Cox to bring this point up, because it was the unequal punishment for the woman having an abortion in Texas the Supreme Court pointed to as being problematic in the Roe decision. Also, the past is not what defines what is needed in the present and future. We are to obey Chris...

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arka...