Skip to main content

God Working in Worship

 

      Acts 2:42 (NKJV)  And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 

 

     Gathering with God's people is a great privilege given to us by God.  More than that, we are commanded as God's people to gather for the express purpose of praising God corporately.  I have said many times that worship is the thing that God has used in my life above all else to minister to me in days of difficulty.  When we come together and worship the Lord for who He is and what He has done in our lives it places our worldly troubles into proper perspective.  We recognize as we worship that there is a God in Heaven who is sovereign over all things, who has a plan that is beyond our comprehension, and who is completely holy and good.  Worship fixes our eyes on the things above so that we can walk properly through our lives here in this world.  Worship brings us encouragement, conviction, and healing if we come to God in humility and brokenness.  

1 Timothy 4:13 (NKJV)
13  Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 

    This is why what is happening in our culture and in churches is so dangerous.  There are many Christians that have not been gathered with God's people in worship for almost a year.  I know there are great challenges in the world.  I know and believe that the virus is real and can have heavy effects on people up to and including losing their life.  However, what I truly believe is that the benefits of gathering together to worship God with the people of God far outweigh the risks.  Sickness can be serious, but many are spiritually sick because they are not connected to the body of Christ and are drifting in their walk with Jesus.  Yes, sickness is possible.  Yes, death is possible.   However, that has always been true.  As God's people, we do not cower in fear of death because in Christ we have the victory over it no matter what comes.  We do not foolishly seek death, but it is not to back us into a corner and keep us from fulfilling our command to worship God as a body and to carry the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world.  

Matthew 18:20 (NKJV)
20  For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."

    I read recently about a church in Canada that was meeting in opposition to the lockdowns placed on them by their government.  A Muslim man had gone to their services.  When asked why he said that "if they believe it in so much, I want to see what it is all about".  Worship not only functions as the place of strengthening for God's people, but it serves as an example to the unbeliever.  

    I have said from the beginning of the virus situation that people need to prayerfully make their own decisions about church.  I still believe that.  I will however say that there is a huge difference between staying away for a few weeks and removing yourself from active fellowship for almost a year. I want to be clear that this is not aimed at someone whose health actually makes it impossible for them to gather with the church.  Instead, this is food for thought for those who may have discounted the function and necessity of worship in the life of the believer.  You need your fellow believers and they need you!

Hebrews 10:24-25 (NKJV)
24  And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
25  not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. 

 Perhaps you are dealing with a different situation.  Maybe your church is not meeting or they have scaled things way down.  If you feel led to gather and worship you can do that for a period of time with a different group of believers.  I am not advocating leaving your church over decisions made during this pandemic.  Please do not do that.  However, another church can minister to you in worship and preaching of the word until things change.  God works in corporate worship!  Do not remove this important aspect of your Christian life for any longer than is absolutely necessary.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arkansas and where I grew up there are not many things looked upon be

Ambition, Contentment, and Higher Education

Wow, Have I fallen behind keeping up with this blog.  Why? Well, for example, right now I have a two page paper one day overdue that is needing to be written. Poor planning and procrastination caught up with me again.  However, this is not what I intended to comment on today.  Today, God has asked me a question I am having trouble answering:  Is it possible to have contentment and still have ambition?  Hmmmmm.... I would say that it is.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking or arrogance, but I do believe there is a way to walk that line.   Right now I am as happy as I have ever been with the way my family life, career, and even my educational situation as I have ever been.  Yet, there is still so much I want to accomplish.  I still have ambitions.  These two things do not have to remain mutually exclusive. The real test is motivation. Is my ambition tied to the mission God has for my life?  If it is then I have nothing to repent of.  If not, then I have just made an idol.  Anyon

Constant Reminders-Thorns

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure- 2 Corinthians 12:7 Here we see Paul, discussing the thorn in his flesh.  There have been many theories as to what exactly this thorn was.  They range from depression to malaria and everything in between.  Some say it was psychological, some say it was physical, while yet others believe it had to do with his memories of his past.   Let's just say we do not know exactly what it was.  What we do know is that Paul dealt with some issue on a near continual basis.  Paul said that this was an attack from Satan, but it was also used of God to keep him humble. I guess my question is this:  What is your thorn in the flesh?  Is there something in your life that you cannot pray away?  I'll bet there is.  It may be a physical ailment, or it may be your past lurking, waiting to pop