Skip to main content

Standing on the Shoulders of Men, and the Promises of God

There are days when I finish most of what needs to be accomplished at work and I get to study a little more, pray a little more, or get ahead for next week.  Sometimes like everybody else I end up reading news stories that really are of little or no importance.  Does it really matter that some recently divorced liberal over at the Huffington Post wrote a column proposing the government not allow people to marry before age 25?Article here No, it does not.  Our culture does not even realize the meaning of marriage anymore so why listen to the drivel. 

Fathers day is coming up and it has weighed on my mind.  These past few days I have been thinking about the beauty of having mentors or being one.  I do not mean a once a week 30 minute interaction at the Boys and Girls club.  That is okay, but in my world I am talking about the men that have truly affected the way I live my life and do my ministry.  I am blessed beyond imagination in this department.

First and foremost(in the human realm), there is my Dad.  Bill Threet.  My Dad taught me a lot of things when I was younger and still continues teaching me today(though distance separates us).  Mostly he showed me things in the way he lived life.  I have said this before to many people, but it bears repeating.  My Dad is the kind of man that usually only had one day off a week.  He would be off Sunday and maybe half of Saturday.  However, when we were young he was very likely on that Sunday off to not only make it to church, but then haul a lawnmower across town to some shabby ball field so that our teams that he coached would have a place to practice where you could actually see the ground balls. Because of my Dad I know what it means to sacrifice and because of him I know that the best way to get a kid to learn how to catch is to hit balls at him until he quits using his head for a glove. He showed me how to give all you have for your family and for that I am eternally grateful. 


My mentor, my grandfather, my Papa.  This will be our first Father's Day without him. Dr. Kenneth Threet.  I miss him more than I have ever missed anyone in my life.  Outside of Jesus, he was and will continue to be the greatest influence that I have in my life as a minister .  Should I be half the man of God he was I will consider it a job well done.  He is gone, but his work remains.  I possess a treasure trove of over 20 binders filled with his sermons that he preached over the years.  I will us one of them next month to marry my sister.  It will be my first wedding ceremony, and hopefully her only :)  Papa will be there with us through his influence on all of us, and through his diligent efforts to preserve his life's work in the service of God.  I heard a sermon preached last night about wounds and scars.  Maybe when it comes to Papa I am still nursing a wound that has not healed to form a scar. 


Dr. Stan Ballard has been my pastor the majority of my life.  He is a man of God to model after.  Especially in these last months since my grandfather passed, he has become a father in ministry to me.  He is quick to listen, advise, and pray with me when I need a helping hand.  His ministry has touched nearly every corner of our family as our pastor and as a dear friend to my grandfather the last 10 years of his life. I am thankful for him, and will always consider him my pastor.


My father in law Paul Pipher has also had a major impact on my life in the 4 plus years I have been married to his daughter.  He is a study in the benefits of hard work, perseverance, and integrity.  He accepted me when I was a no account hillbilly that married his daughter(while my mother in law tried to poison me with candy the first time we met :) I'm kidding Sandy ) and now probably likes me a little better as a no account hillbilly minister that is the father of his only grandchildren.  I want to thank him for being there these past couple of years for our family whenever we needed anything.  Whether it was a place to live while we got settled in Virginia or a car problem, he was there.  Thank you for everything you mean to me, Sarah, and our boys. 


There are two other men that bear mentioning here, but I will not brag on them too much because I have to see them regularly.  Rev. Marc Reynolds is a dear friend and mentor.  I served under his ministry as a volunteer youth director for several months and we still communicate often.  No bragging here, he might see it and call me and then I will have to deny I said such nice things.  Dr. Daryl Harbin is the most immediate to me in location.  I serve under his leadership here at Zion Baptist.  I have learned lessons from him already that I will carry forever.  Lessons on faithfulness, leadership, and discipline.  These two men are very near and dear to me and I thank God for their influence.



With Father's day for me also comes my birthday.  June 18th is always near or on Father's Day.  The last man in my life that has left his mark is one that never really got to be a man.  My twin brother Ryan Threet has influenced my life's path since before we were born.  He died at 18 months, but the legacy of courage he left behind remains.  Somehow, I still miss him though I don't remember him and I trust he is in heaven with three of his grandparents right now. 

Now, no Father's Day post can be complete without mentioning God the Father.  God who gave His Son for us.  God who is father to the fatherless.  His mercy, grace, and righteous judgement reflect what all earthly fathers should strive for.  Should something happen to me I would hope my boys could know that God is their father even before I am.

I feel like Joshua.  I am so blessed to have these many Moses' in my life.  They have taught me, prepared me, and shown me how to lead, follow, and be faithful.  I hope I can live in obedience like Joshua because of the great mentors that God has blessed me with and follow Joshua's example when he said"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  Remember all the men in your life on Father's Day, but most of all remember God, THE Father.

Bro. Russell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arkansas and where I grew up there are not many things looked upon be

Ambition, Contentment, and Higher Education

Wow, Have I fallen behind keeping up with this blog.  Why? Well, for example, right now I have a two page paper one day overdue that is needing to be written. Poor planning and procrastination caught up with me again.  However, this is not what I intended to comment on today.  Today, God has asked me a question I am having trouble answering:  Is it possible to have contentment and still have ambition?  Hmmmmm.... I would say that it is.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking or arrogance, but I do believe there is a way to walk that line.   Right now I am as happy as I have ever been with the way my family life, career, and even my educational situation as I have ever been.  Yet, there is still so much I want to accomplish.  I still have ambitions.  These two things do not have to remain mutually exclusive. The real test is motivation. Is my ambition tied to the mission God has for my life?  If it is then I have nothing to repent of.  If not, then I have just made an idol.  Anyon

Constant Reminders-Thorns

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure- 2 Corinthians 12:7 Here we see Paul, discussing the thorn in his flesh.  There have been many theories as to what exactly this thorn was.  They range from depression to malaria and everything in between.  Some say it was psychological, some say it was physical, while yet others believe it had to do with his memories of his past.   Let's just say we do not know exactly what it was.  What we do know is that Paul dealt with some issue on a near continual basis.  Paul said that this was an attack from Satan, but it was also used of God to keep him humble. I guess my question is this:  What is your thorn in the flesh?  Is there something in your life that you cannot pray away?  I'll bet there is.  It may be a physical ailment, or it may be your past lurking, waiting to pop