Skip to main content

Constant Reminders-Thorns

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure- 2 Corinthians 12:7


Here we see Paul, discussing the thorn in his flesh.  There have been many theories as to what exactly this thorn was.  They range from depression to malaria and everything in between.  Some say it was psychological, some say it was physical, while yet others believe it had to do with his memories of his past.   Let's just say we do not know exactly what it was.  What we do know is that Paul dealt with some issue on a near continual basis.  Paul said that this was an attack from Satan, but it was also used of God to keep him humble.

I guess my question is this:  What is your thorn in the flesh?  Is there something in your life that you cannot pray away?  I'll bet there is.  It may be a physical ailment, or it may be your past lurking, waiting to pop up.  Whatever it is you can only have two attitudes about it.  You can either say "God is punishing me", or "God is reminding me".  Paul found after pleading with God that this was not something God was willing to expel from his life. 

Understand, these thorns are not sins.  God will not keep sin in your life to keep you in check.  He abhors sin, and will release you from its bonds.  However, these thorns in the flesh can be repercussions from your past sins.  Maybe, like me, you have not always walked the straight and narrow, and you suffer some physical ailment because of you past lifestyle.  I suffer with gout.
 

 This is how God gave me this topic today because I am having a gout attack.  I know why this is popping up right now.  God needed to remind me how far He has brought me in a short period of time.  Ambition has lately become my god of sorts as I constantly seek out goals.  God has reminded me through prayer and a little pain that His presence and approval are the only goals worth having.

I want to encourage you today that you are not alone if you are long suffering.  You may have viewed these ailments as punishment.  I say it is time to see them as God's foothold in our lives when we do not allow Him to work where He says there is work to be done.


 God is powerful, just, and righteous.  If you find yourself blaming God, it is time for some serious introspection.  We can have joy, even during periods of pain and sorrow, because joy comes from God.  It is an internal state of being and not an emotion controlled by external circumstances.

Today I say take joy in your thorns, as Paul did.  Remember, anything suffered in the name of God is rewarded in Heaven.  Have a blessed day.

Bro. Russell

Comments

  1. thank you Russell...I needed this today. I love your writting, I have enjoyed all your post. God Bless You & Yours...hope You fell better soon. Love, Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arkansas and where I grew up there are not many things looked upon be

Ambition, Contentment, and Higher Education

Wow, Have I fallen behind keeping up with this blog.  Why? Well, for example, right now I have a two page paper one day overdue that is needing to be written. Poor planning and procrastination caught up with me again.  However, this is not what I intended to comment on today.  Today, God has asked me a question I am having trouble answering:  Is it possible to have contentment and still have ambition?  Hmmmmm.... I would say that it is.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking or arrogance, but I do believe there is a way to walk that line.   Right now I am as happy as I have ever been with the way my family life, career, and even my educational situation as I have ever been.  Yet, there is still so much I want to accomplish.  I still have ambitions.  These two things do not have to remain mutually exclusive. The real test is motivation. Is my ambition tied to the mission God has for my life?  If it is then I have nothing to repent of.  If not, then I have just made an idol.  Anyon