Skip to main content

Discipline.... and/or the Lack Thereof

                                                                                                           But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. 1 Cor 7:32

 Everyone loves to talk about discipline.  Discipline in schools, discipline for your kids, church discipline.  Right? Actually no one likes to talk about it.  I am only talking about it because God is convicting me of a lack of discipline in one area of my life.  For the official record. I have gained more discipline over the last year of my life than at any other time before.  It is a direct result of working under my Senior Pastor, one Dr. Daryl Harbin.  He believes in discipline, and because of him I have found out that I really do to.  I always thought I believed in discipline.  You know I try to discipline my children and those under my ministry if necessary, but through his guidance I have learned what is truly important.  Self Discipline.  I am now a disciplined creature of habit as it involves my work here at church.  My regular everyday, weekly, and monthly tasks generally go off like clockwork.  I dare you to keep me from blowing the sidewalks at the church for a day.

 

 I will not sleep at night if it does not get done.    It is a lesson I will take with me the rest of my ministry, and I have Preacher(as I call him) to thank for that.  Please do not get me wrong, my parents believed in discipline too.  It is just a different animal when you are talking about working in a position where you spend a great deal of time with little or no supervision.

When I began to think about and look at discipline in Scripture I realized that it is forever tied to one thing.....submission.  There cannot be true discipline without submission.  To have disciplined children they must submit to their parents.  To have disciplined employees, they must submit to their boss.  To have disciplined Christians we must be fully submitted to Christ.  God believes in disciplining His children if they cannot discipline themselves.

Rev 3:19-Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.

The most wonderful thing about true spiritual discipline is that we cannot do it on our own.  Jesus gives us the power.  Without it, we might look disciplined from the outside, but inside we are filled with chaos.  Sin is the result of a lack of self discipline.  Every sin you can think about began with a small seed of dropping God's standard of discipline in our lives.

 
Just so you know that I know of what I speak, let me enlighten you to what I mentioned up top.  My discipline involving my school work has been terrible.  I had a good reason to fall behind, but there was no reason for it to remain an issue after the situation was resolved.  My computer blew up.  Since I am a creature of habit, it became exceedingly difficult for me to get my work done.  I have an office computer, but I enjoy being at home near my wife at least while working.                                                                                                                                                      Probably because she is pretty and she brings me food.   
Anyways, I am getting back on track but it was a simple lack of discipline that led me down the path.  A few extra hours in my office would have prevented me falling behind, but it was too much for me to change right then.

I believe Jesus cares about our level of discipline.  Are we disciplined enough to stay in His Word even when we do not feel we are getting something from it.  Are we disciplined enough to persevere in prayer in those times when God feels far away?  Are we disciplined enough to walk away from sinful situations?  It is food for thought and prayer because dropping our guard in one area will eventually bring down our self discipline in every area.  Have a blessed day and weekend.


Bro. Russell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dropping the Ball in Evangelism-My Recent Failure

I have been letting it stew in me all weekend.  I have shrugged it off.  I have talked to God with no real assurance.  I have racked my brain for an excuse.  The inescapable truth is that as a minister, a follower of Christ, and a leader of young people I dropped the ball.  Let me tell you this story so that you may not do the same. Friday night my lovely wife Sarah and I took a Wal-Mart trip to Culpeper, Virginia.  Because I ignored an initial warning sign my car gave me we ended up broken down on the side of the highway between Culpeper and Orange.  It was bad enough to be broken down, but it was worse to be broken down with two little boys who were already up past their bedtime.  To make matters worse I did not have my cell phone for the first time ever and my wife had few if any numbers of people from the church or friends that we might call for assistance.   Thankfully, Sarah was able to get in touch with the Lee family. W.T., who ...

A Response to Family Council on HB1174

 On Thursday January 9 th , 2023 House Bill 1174 was filed in the Arkansas House of Representatives. This bill would provide equal protection for unborn children under Arkansas law without exception or compromise. Most would have believed that the Arkansas based Family Council headed by Jerry Cox would have been rushing to support this bill filed by Rep. Richard Womack. Instead, they have come out and publicly opposed HB 1174 in an article on their website citing some reasons why they would oppose equal protection under the law for the unborn in Arkansas. Cox’s first listed reason is that before the Roe decision in 1973 women were not prosecuted for having abortions in Arkansas. It is interesting for Cox to bring this point up, because it was the unequal punishment for the woman having an abortion in Texas the Supreme Court pointed to as being problematic in the Roe decision. Also, the past is not what defines what is needed in the present and future. We are to obey Chris...

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arka...