Skip to main content

8 Weeks Into the Rest of Our Life

I am the SENIOR PASTOR of Chestnut Grove Baptist Church.  Not that there is a junior pastor.  There is just me, but the title remains.  I am simply the pastor.  So, here I am 2 months into my first pastorate.  I probably know it all by now, right?  Not hardly.  Luckily, I was blessed with a salesman's brain so names are coming easy, which makes things much more smooth.

So, 8 weeks in I was hoping to have some great pearls of pastoral wisdom to share, but again I say, not hardly.  Anyways, I will tell you a few things.  The first thing is that people here are amazing.  They have been a blessing to both me and my family.  We have been provided with a great home and much more.

Secondly, I will confess that I love my job.  I know I am not supposed to call it a job, but it is that and a lot more.  It is a calling, a lifestyle, and really just a lot of fun.  I have had some great and not so great moments already, but I hope that in time everyone will be able to discern my heart.  I do have a purpose for writing this blog, and here it is.

There are people out in the country that need preachers too.  That sounds pretty simple, right?  People out here are starving for someone who gives a rip to come and preach to them.  Not that this church or any other have pastors that don't care.  Quite the opposite.  There are people out here preaching for nothing or almost that.  What I am trying to say is that we have to bring these types of churches back to the forefront of the landscape of American Christianity. 
 

Some say it is too difficult.  People are too set in their ways.  That is a cop out.  I know it sounds simple for me to say just starting out, but it is still true. The impact of a country church is so underestimated that it is mind boggling.  A country church can realistically be the backbone of a community that encompasses both a wide territory and a large number of people, if only there were preachers.  There are many,many, vacant churches starving for leadership.  Who will answer the call?  These are churches, not stepping stones.  These are God's people, not bodies in a pew.  They are deserving of someone who desires to preach God's Word to them faithfully.

I wholeheartedly believe that I am not alone in this.  There has got to be more young pastors out there that have the right skills and gifts to minister in this context.  If things go the way they are going there will not be many churches left outside of the cities and towns with pastors.  These old preachers are going to die and there is no one waiting in the wings who is going to fill their shoes.

Why?

Because it is not the cool thing in the minds of many. It is not the type of "cutting edge ministry" that they are pushing in many Bible colleges and seminaries. It is because people do not want to be more than a short drive from all of life's conveniences.  I do not doubt the call of those to certain areas and contexts, but God would not abandon His people to be sheep without a shepherd.  Somewhere across this country there are people ignoring God's call to the place they think is the middle of nowhere.  Well, your middle of nowhere is someone else's home.  It is a unique community with lost people that need the Gospel and saints that need to hear the Word rightly divided. 

Pray for these churches.  Pray that there will continue to be ministers with a burden to preach wherever God calls.  Not just wherever God calls that has a Walmart and a Chik Fil A nearby.



Comments

  1. The need for country preachers is the same as the need for suburban and urban preachers. The solution to this problem is also the same, though not always as easy. The need for preachers stems from the need to raise up leadership within the congregation, which in my limited experience is a mutual lack of responsibility of both the pastor and the members of the church. Sometimes either the pastor is not willing to raise up leadership from within, or when the pastor is willing, there is no member to be found who is willing to be molded into a new preacher. With that, when it comes to discipleship and raising up a new preacher, the task ought to fall upon the preacher who has the discernment to single out one or a few young members of the church to disciple, mentor, and mold into a preacher to one day hand over the pulpit. Remember, it was Jesus who called his 12 closest disciples and while others followed on their own, it was the Teacher who did the selecting.

    -Adam L.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good Ole Boys and the Loss of Southern Manhood

As my life has gotten busier, I have listened to less and less music through the day.  When I drive I listen to preaching or talk on the phone.  It is simply my reality.  I might even pray a little.  However, a few weeks ago I got the chance to go to a Southern Gospel concert.  That is immaterial, but I heard a song that has stuck with me.  It is called Good Ole Boys. The sound is not great on the video. This song has stuck with me because it has mirrored my life.  Look, it's no secret the way I used to live my life.  It was rough.  It was rowdy.  It was sinful.  I am ashamed of it and I am not here to brag about sins of my past.  The reason I am approaching this subject is because I was the quintessential Good Ole Boy the song mentions.  If you asked people to describe me from age 16 to 22 they might have even used those words paired with some other colorful vocabulary.  I am from the great Southern state of Arkansas and where I grew up there are not many things looked upon be

Ambition, Contentment, and Higher Education

Wow, Have I fallen behind keeping up with this blog.  Why? Well, for example, right now I have a two page paper one day overdue that is needing to be written. Poor planning and procrastination caught up with me again.  However, this is not what I intended to comment on today.  Today, God has asked me a question I am having trouble answering:  Is it possible to have contentment and still have ambition?  Hmmmmm.... I would say that it is.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking or arrogance, but I do believe there is a way to walk that line.   Right now I am as happy as I have ever been with the way my family life, career, and even my educational situation as I have ever been.  Yet, there is still so much I want to accomplish.  I still have ambitions.  These two things do not have to remain mutually exclusive. The real test is motivation. Is my ambition tied to the mission God has for my life?  If it is then I have nothing to repent of.  If not, then I have just made an idol.  Anyon

Constant Reminders-Thorns

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure- 2 Corinthians 12:7 Here we see Paul, discussing the thorn in his flesh.  There have been many theories as to what exactly this thorn was.  They range from depression to malaria and everything in between.  Some say it was psychological, some say it was physical, while yet others believe it had to do with his memories of his past.   Let's just say we do not know exactly what it was.  What we do know is that Paul dealt with some issue on a near continual basis.  Paul said that this was an attack from Satan, but it was also used of God to keep him humble. I guess my question is this:  What is your thorn in the flesh?  Is there something in your life that you cannot pray away?  I'll bet there is.  It may be a physical ailment, or it may be your past lurking, waiting to pop