Skip to main content

Donald Duck, Chip and Dale, and the Lowering of my Precious Self-Esteem

So here it is, Monday morning.  It is a glorious morning weather wise here in North Central Virginia. 
























We have had a wonderful two weeks of weather. I even think the 2 feet of rain was okay on Saturday.  This morning I have been pondering a few things.  After staying up late to finish some last minute homework I watched some old Disney cartoons and it got me thinking.  Am I a horrible person for laughing at the way Chip and Dale always get the best of Donald Duck?

 I mean after all they are continually bullying him and taking things that are not theirs.  The particular cartoon I watched last night Donald was being a good conservationist and planting acorns to grow some trees, but Chip and Dale needed said acorns for their winter food supply and took it upon themselves to take them and hilarity ensued.  This was obviously before their Rescue Ranger days.  If you don't know what Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers is then you are un American and probably don't love the Lord.

 I just wonder if our culture today would consider some of the buffoonery of these classics to be an affront to the tender mind of young children.  This is indeed the type of thing people come out against.  They are scared that a cartoon character performing something laughably unreal will make their kids do something crazy.

 
  This is not completely without merit because how many kids have a Superman scar?
 
 What is troubling to me is that they do not see the hypocrisy of allowing kids to watch oversexualized television shows.  Well, you might say that those are for adults and kids should not watch them.  I would challenge you to turn on the television and watch an hour of the non cartoon Disney shows they produce now.  They, almost without exception, promote the idea of parents being idiotic and as persons to be avoided and overcome instead of respected and obeyed.  I'm not here to Disney bash or to call for a Disney boycott(didn't work last time Southern Baptists tried it).  I just am struck by the evolution of material produced by one source.  If art imitates life then life is not in a good place. 

As a parent of young children I often wonder how I am to handle this epidemic.  How careful should we be about what informs the life of our children?  I hope we can be diligent in our efforts without being overly
isolationist. 

This may seem like a rambling post, but it is my heart to understand the REAL dangers of this world.  Is damaging self esteem the real danger? Or is it pervasive immorality? I recently saw a TV show where a father with a grown up child was asked why he never let the kid win at cards when they were young.  I think his quote sums up my position.  He said "I don't believe in this build up your self-esteem crap, if you are gonna win against me you have to earn it".  I had a similar experience with an old man named Willard that lived in a nursing home where my mom worked years ago.  He had the same reasoning when I asked him why he never let me win at checkers.  Our concerns for the next generation are misplaced.  Until we see that the Cross of Christ is the only remedy for their lives and low self-esteem that is the result of sin then we will continue to turn out those that are passive against a culture that promotes sin as an acceptable way of life.

 

 Love God, Love your neighbor, and protect your family from the real evils of the world. 

Blessings,
Bro. Russell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dropping the Ball in Evangelism-My Recent Failure

I have been letting it stew in me all weekend.  I have shrugged it off.  I have talked to God with no real assurance.  I have racked my brain for an excuse.  The inescapable truth is that as a minister, a follower of Christ, and a leader of young people I dropped the ball.  Let me tell you this story so that you may not do the same. Friday night my lovely wife Sarah and I took a Wal-Mart trip to Culpeper, Virginia.  Because I ignored an initial warning sign my car gave me we ended up broken down on the side of the highway between Culpeper and Orange.  It was bad enough to be broken down, but it was worse to be broken down with two little boys who were already up past their bedtime.  To make matters worse I did not have my cell phone for the first time ever and my wife had few if any numbers of people from the church or friends that we might call for assistance.   Thankfully, Sarah was able to get in touch with the Lee family. W.T., who ...

Courage in the Time of Trouble- Responding to Charleston

Sadness. Despair.  Disgust. How many times do we feel these things in tragic situations?  It is normal and human.  What we do not feel is the proper feeling.  That feeling is responsibility.  I said it.  You and I are responsible for these types of tragedies.  Not in the way the politicians are going to paint it.  Not in the way that the media is going to paint it.  Not even in the way that the devil is going to paint it in our minds.  Yet, we are responsible. You read this and say, "How in the world could I be responsible for the actions of a deranged mad man in Charleston, South Carolina?"  We are responsible because for too long people on both ends of the political spectrum, all races, all nationalities, and all stripes of religious persuasions have failed to live courageously.  We have elevated our desire to be right over our duty to care.  We have jumped toward extremism at every opportunity.  Every tragedy...

A Response to Family Council on HB1174

 On Thursday January 9 th , 2023 House Bill 1174 was filed in the Arkansas House of Representatives. This bill would provide equal protection for unborn children under Arkansas law without exception or compromise. Most would have believed that the Arkansas based Family Council headed by Jerry Cox would have been rushing to support this bill filed by Rep. Richard Womack. Instead, they have come out and publicly opposed HB 1174 in an article on their website citing some reasons why they would oppose equal protection under the law for the unborn in Arkansas. Cox’s first listed reason is that before the Roe decision in 1973 women were not prosecuted for having abortions in Arkansas. It is interesting for Cox to bring this point up, because it was the unequal punishment for the woman having an abortion in Texas the Supreme Court pointed to as being problematic in the Roe decision. Also, the past is not what defines what is needed in the present and future. We are to obey Chris...